Education & Training
Samuel Williams completed his Ph.D. in Human Relationships with a focus in Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Canada. He has completed extensive post graduate training in psychotherapy, including an Advanced Certificate in Couple and Marriage Therapy with the University of Guelph, Certificate in Solution-Focused Brief Therapy and Counseling with OISE, University of Toronto and Emotionally Focused Therapy Externship and Core Skills Training with the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy. Samuel strives to stay current with professional skills and research through ongoing continuing education.
Based on over 20 years of working with individuals, couples and families in church, agency, hospital, and private practice settings and drawing from his social and cross-cultural experiences, Samuel’s approach is person-centred, culturally sensitive, trauma informed, anti-oppressive, non-judgmental, and holistic. He offers services in English and Tamil
Samuel tailors each session to his clients’ specific needs, goals, and preferences. His approach is primarily informed by evidence-based and strength-based modalities, such as:
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Solution Focused Therapy (SFT)
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Family Therapy
- Narrative Therapy
- Psycho-Spiritual Therapy.
Samuel works with a broad range of issues, including:
- Relational Issues
- Grief and Loss
- Stress and Burnout
- Life transitions
- Spiritual Issues
- Discrimination and Racism
Samuel Williams is a first-generation South Asian. He was born in Chennai, India and immigrated to Toronto, Ontario for his education. He considers it a privilege to be able to journey with people from diverse backgrounds and different walks of life. This compels him to provide a safe, gentle, compassionate, and collaborative therapeutic presence which supports self-awareness, cultivates hope, and promotes growth and wellness.
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- Canadian Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (CAMFT)
- Ontario Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (OAMFT)
- International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC)